When it comes to taking a safari, you need three things: a strong pair of binoculars, a safari guide to show you around, and an excellent camera with which to capture incredible sights and sounds. A good set of binoculars may not seem like the most important piece of equipment on this list, but it is nevertheless an essential tool for any safari traveler.
This is because a lack of close-up vision can be both frustrating and detrimental to your safari experience. In addition, binoculars are necessary for spotting wildlife such as giraffes, rhinos, elephants, etc. They will also allow you to see incredible details of the landscape that you would have missed without them.
The binoculars that we’ve selected will give you an excellent zoom range and the ability to see animals up close while still remaining compact enough to be carried with ease during your safari adventure. This blog post will tell you everything you should consider before picking a pair of binoculars for your next safari.
Top 8 Binoculars for Safari in 2022
1. Nikon 7576 Monarch 5 8×42 Binocular (Black)
In the optics industry, Nikon is a well-known brand name. Their binoculars are perfect, and they produce binoculars with clear images and high quality. The Nikon Monarch 5 8×42 is one of their popular models. This product features ED glass known for optical clarity, reduced color dispersion, and lower flaring.
It is an entirely waterproof, fog proof, and rubber-armored binocular designed for improved airtightness and enhanced deterrent. These binoculars have rubber arms which enhance the durability of the binoculars.
It features an ergonomic design that makes it easier to hold and use comfortably. The 42mm objective lens diameter is larger than an average binocular, allowing more light to enter the optics for creating sharp and crystal clear images.
The multi-layer coating on the lenses is among the best in the market, allowing for optimum light transmission.
These are lightweight and user-friendly binoculars with a smooth central focus knob. So it’s not surprising that these binoculars are an excellent choice for those who love to go on safaris, bird watching, hunting, and travel.
– A large 42mm objective lens diameter allows more light to enter to make sharp and clear images.
– It is a highly user-friendly binocular with an ergonomic design.
– A waterproof, fog proof, and rubber-armored design designed for improved airtightness and enhanced deterrent.
– The multi-layer coating on the lenses improves light transmission for excellent optical clarity.
– These are lightweight and compact, making them one of the easiest binoculars to bring along on your next adventure.
– The eyecups can be adjusted for ease.
– Quality of lens caps could have been made better
Vortex does not need an introduction. They are well known for producing some of the best optics globally, and their binoculars are no exception to that. The Vortex Optics Diamondback Roof Prism Binoculars are an excellent choice for those looking for a pair of binoculars that can be used for travel and watching wildlife.
The design of the Vortex binoculars is much more rugged, durable, fog-proof, and waterproof than most other binoculars available in the market. It’s no wonder that they are considered one of the top-rated binoculars.
It is an 8x magnification power with a 42mm objective lens diameter, making it great for low light conditions. The field view of 393 feet/1000 yards makes it much easier to capture more horizontal area. For glasses wearers, these have adjustable eyecup so that eye relief can be adjusted to their comfort. The fully multi-coated and dielectric lenses allow light to enter freely and widely, leading to clearer and sharper images.
– The 8x magnification power with a 42mm objective lens diameter allows for better images in low light levels.
– A rugged, durable, fog proof, and waterproof exterior design ensures that the binoculars will last longer and be used in any climate.
– They provide customized eye relief which makes these comfortable to use for users who wear glasses.
– Fully coated, dielectric lenses lead to a clear image.
– These binoculars are great for a wide range of applications, including hunting, bird watching, and safari viewing.
– Lens cap quality is not very good
3. Celestron Nature DX 8×42 Binoculars
Celestron is among the top brands that manufacture telescopes, cameras, binoculars, monoculars, microscopes, and their accessories like tripods. Their binoculars are superb, and this one is no different from that. The glass of optics used in these binoculars is very high quality, and the design and details are incredible.
It has a multi-coated lens for enhanced light transmission. These multi-coated lenses and the BaK-4 prism ensure that images are more transparent. It’s a compact binocular with 8x magnification that can be carried anywhere, even in your handbag or travel bag. These binoculars are fog proof, waterproof, and have rubber armored polycarbonate housing for durability.
The twist-up eyecups make it easier to use, even for people who wear glasses. Not just this, it comes with a neck strap, carrying case, objective lens caps, eyepiece rain guard, and a lens cloth for an easy safari trip. The binoculars are also very lightweight, making them easier to carry. They have an adjustable eye relief feature too for glass wearers.
– Has great magnification power with a high-quality lens that allows for clear and bright images.
– A durable, fog proof, and waterproof design designed for improved airtightness and enhanced deterrent.
– Adjustable eyecups for eye relief allow users to adjust the viewing power to their comfort.
– A lightweight design makes carrying it easier and more comfortable.
– The multi-coated lens ensures that the images are more transparent and more vivid.
– Cannot be used in the rain for an extended period
Steiner makes trusted optics for all kinds of uses, and this is an excellent binocular for those looking for high-quality binoculars. Every feature that you could ask for in a pair of binoculars, this one has it. It’s a fantastic piece of equipment. The Steiner Predator Series Hunting uses color adjusted transmission (CAT) technology allowing you to see animals under foliage or shade, making them perfect for safari.
They are filled with 14-psi pressurized dry nitrogen for improved fog-proof clarity for use in moist climates. To make them action-ready, they have a CLICLOC system for rapid attachment and detachment of the neck strap with just a push of a button.
Also, the fast-close-focus central focusing wheel requires less movement for quick, absolute sharpness from close up to infinity. Not only these, but these binoculars come with a heritage warranty. This warranty is one of a kind that ensures the great quality of these products. It protects against defects in materials and workmanship. Not many manufacturers offer such an extensive guarantee on their binoculars.
– Its durability, fog proof, and waterproof design allow for better airtightness and enhanced deterrent.
– CAT technology is ideal for safaris because it reveals animals under shade or foliage.
– Comes with 14-psi pressurized dry nitrogen that keeps moisture and fog at bay.
– Lifetime warranty makes the product more appealing.
– Rapid attachment and detachment of the neck strap by pushing a button with CLICLOC technology.
– The eyepiece wrappers might be small for some people
These are just another excellent product from Vortex. These are very compact binoculars with a 10x zoom. It takes up the smallest amount of space and is the easiest to carry. The twist and lock eyecups are adjustable for changing eye relief. This feature ensures that people who wear eyeglasses can enjoy the same high-quality image as others without eyeglasses. The rubber armor makes it durable, non-slip, and comfortable to use. The nitrogen purged and o-ring sealed design makes it weatherproof, allowing you to use it in any climate.
At 1000 yards away from the target, these binoculars can capture 294 feet of horizontal area with a clear image.
A 26mm objective lens diameter and fully multi-coated lenses ensure that light is absorbed by the prisms and not reflected off, resulting in a clear, crisp image. To prevent air, moisture, and dust from entering the binocular body, nitrogen purging and o-ring sealing are also included in the binocular design.
– The nitrogen purged and o-ring sealed design makes it weatherproof, allowing you to use it in any climate.
– Twist and lock eyecups for easy adjustment of eye relief.
– Rubber armor for durability, non-slip, and comfort.
– Clear, crisp image because of 26mm objective lens and fully multi-coated lenses.
– Smaller in size and lighter than many other binoculars.
– Not great in dark scenarios.
6. Steiner Military-Marine Series Binoculars, Lightweight Tactical Precision Optics for Any Situation, Waterproof, Green, 8×30
These Steiner Military-Marine Series Binoculars are an excellent pair of binoculars for the safari. They have a lightweight design and are very easy to carry around without any hassle. The rubber armor makes it durable, non-slip, and comfortable.
Its polycarbonate housing makes it more durable to last longer and can withstand inclement conditions. With its 11 G of impact resistance, these binoculars can withstand a great deal of damage.
These binoculars deliver sharp, brilliant 3D images without refocusing, even when one changes positions quickly. With its sports autofocus, it makes focusing as easy as 1-2-3. These binoculars are also fog resistant, waterproof, and built to last. With an excellent magnification power of 8x, these binoculars have a vast field of view of 362 feet at 1000 yards away from the target.
The floating prism systems use flexible silicone lens mounts that absorb impact, shocks, and abuse without damaging them. These binoculars auto-focus fast-moving objects and do not require you to adjust the center focus wheel constantly.
– With its sports autofocus, it makes focusing as easy as 1-2-3.
– Rubber armor for durability, non-slip, and comfort.
– Waterproof, fog resistant, and built to last.
– Lightweight design and easy to carry around.
– 8x magnification power ensures that one gets a great field of view at 1000 yards away from the target with sharp images.
– The hinge between the objective lens is made from plastic.
Hawke is an excellent company when it comes to binoculars. Hawke has been designing and manufacturing high magnification binoculars for many years now. These are very compact and lightweight, making them easy to carry around without effort. Commonly used for hunting, animal watching, and more, these binoculars, with their quality design, will stand up to the test of time. It’s an exciting piece of equipment that would make an excellent addition to any collection of tools for safaris.
The extra-low dispersion glass and fully multi-coated lenses ensure that the image is clear and precise. The focus knob with 1. 2 turns – close focus from 6. 6ft/2m is fairly simple yet very effective in making precise adjustments without putting much pressure on it, even when changing positions quickly.
All of the binoculars that Hawke makes have a high standard of quality and this is one of them. The adjustable eyecups allow this product to be adjusted for eyeglass wearers to enjoy the same high-resolution image.
The high-resolution phase corrected BAK-4 roof prisms create a high-quality image.
– Lightweight design makes it easy to carry around and more portable.
– Adjustable eyecups for eyeglasses wearers.
– Extra-low dispersion glass and fully multi-coated lenses.
– The BAK4 roof prism system is used for brighter images.
– The rubber armor coating also makes them slip-resistant and durable binoculars.
– Turning the knob might be annoying for some people.
When buying a pair of binoculars, there are a few crucial things to look for. These will help you make an informed decision when purchasing your new set. Binoculars come with different magnification powers, sizes, colors, optics, and FOV. Therefore, it is necessary to understand these characteristics to make an informed decision before the purchase.
The magnification power of a pair of binoculars is precisely how many times closer one can focus on something compared to normal human vision. Binoculars with higher magnifications are used for a better image when going hunting, bird watching, or on safari. Magnification powers are measured in x strengths, where the number represents the amount of magnification it has. The first digit of figure 10×42 refers to the magnification. Higher numbers indicate greater magnification.
Another helpful feature is the field of view. The field of view is how much a horizontal image appears to the human eye when looking through the binoculars. A wide field of view will enable one to spot a broader horizontal landscape without the need to move your binoculars. FOV is measured in degrees or meters for 1000 meters. The horizontal landscape covered by your binoculars at 1000 meters away from the target is the FOV. FOV is inversely proportional to the magnification as larger magnification covers less horizontal areas.
The quality of the image highly depends on the lens quality. A considerable part of the image quality is dependent on the glass used in making the lenses. The lenses can be made from several different materials that are used for their different properties. BAK-4 and BAK-7 prisms are excellent for making high-end images. Design-wise, there are two main prism designs: Porro prism and roof prism design.
Porro prisms make use of two prisms. One prism receives the light, and the other prism inverts it to create an image. Such binoculars are heavier because the two prisms are arranged in a zig-zag manner. Complex optics engineering is used in roof prism design, which enables less weight and space and makes even far better images.
These features come in handy for areas where the climate is foggy and moist. Most binoculars use nitrogen gas to make them fog proof. This prevents moisture from building up on the lens surfaces, thereby allowing the binoculars to be used in humid conditions without fogging up. For waterproofing the binoculars, high-quality o-rings made of rubbers are used around leak-prone points of binoculars.
A larger lens size means that more light can successfully enter the binoculars. In return, a more sharp and bright image will be formed. How much light can be received by binoculars is determined by objective lens diameter. Any lens size greater equal to 42mm will suit the safari.
Binoculars with a minimum magnification of 8x will be a good start as you can at least see the animal eight times closer to you than they actually are. But be careful; buying extra high magnification binoculars might not be a good fit as they require stabilization in the form of a tripod which cannot be used on safari.
Safari binoculars are considered essential tools used by both professional hunters and hobbyists as well as amateur wildlife watchers. The primary purpose of such binoculars is to magnify the image to enable one to view the target up close. The main factors that determine the quality of such binoculars are lens quality, FOV, magnification, the field of view, and waterproofing. A good pair of binoculars will make a hunter or wildlife watcher successful when scoping out his prey or target in the woods for hunting.
Animals are very clever, and they are constantly adapting to their environment. The animals that live in the jungle are tough to see despite their proximity. Special binoculars are used to see these animals and wildlife, especially when they are under foliage. Some of these animals might be in a very dark environment, so a high-power binocular will be needed to catch them in a dark place. The best choice binoculars are reviewed in this article.